Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Journal Entry 7 posted 6/29/16 @ 2:20pm

Journal Entry 7
Classroom Management
Christy Dixon

Describe

Chapter 11 of Slavin’s Educational Psychology: Theory and practice, focuses on creating effective learning environments and behavior management.

The chapter opens up by giving an example of a 10th grade English teacher (Ms. Cavalho) who is in the middle of teaching a very interesting lesson on writing styles. She made sure, through thorough planning, that her lesson was engaging in order to avoid having bored and off task students. During her intriguing lesson, two students come in late and one of them tries to be funny by over exaggerating his walk and facial expressions. The teacher doesn’t allow this student to disrupt her lesson. She does not stop the lesson, or draw attention to him. She does not scold him publicly or talk condescendingly to him. Instead she ignores the behavior (to an extent), but addresses the issue once the lesson is finished. This helps other students not to be disrupted. When talking to the misbehaving student after class (not in front of his peers), she is positive and respectful, and allows him fair options in ways to correct the problem. She also clearly explains the next steps of consequences if the problem persists.

To me this is an excellent example of how a teacher should handle a behavior issue or disruption. Slavin states that “every teacher, no matter how effective, will encounter discipline problems…” and this chapter goes on to discuss strategies/techniques that can help teachers handle these type of problems when they present themselves.

One such strategy is to use time wisely! When students are busy learning or working, there is less time for misbehavior. Therefore, teachers need to use as much allocated time for instruction as possible. They need to avoid last starts and early finishing. “A crisp, on-time start to a lesson is important for setting a purposive tone to instruction.” Slavin R.E. (2012). And to avoid finishing early, Slavin suggests to “plan more instruction than you think you will need.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

Another way to use time wisely is to make sure students are trained in routine procedures such as: sharpening pencils, lining up, going to the bathroom/nurse/library, passing out papers/materials, taking up papers/materials, transitioning into groups, transitioning to another subject, throwing away trash, cleaning up, class discussions etc… If students are not properly trained in these processes, you will waste valuable teaching time to these routine procedures.

Teachers also need to keep students engaged. They can do this in a number of ways. One way is by creating engaging lessons that capture students’ interest and relating it to usefulness in the students’ lives. Another way is to convey to the students that they are always being observed. If students think that they are not being watched, they will goof off and be off task, which could lead to behavior issues. Teachers need to “circulate among your students’ desks to see how they are doing. This allows you (the teacher) to identify any problems students are having before they waste seatwork time practicing errors or giving up in frustration.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

Another way to avoid behavior issues and create an effective classroom environment, is by setting clear rules and expectations. Not only do you need to set these rules and expectations but you need to clearly present and explain them to your students. All of this (explanation of expectations such as: behavior, routine procedures, transitions etc…) needs to be clearly and precisely addressed at the beginning of the year and reviewed frequently throughout the year.

Now, even if you (the teacher) plans the most interesting lessons, thoroughly explains all expectations at the beginning of the year, teach/work bell to bell, (all the while observing and intervening when necessary), you will still inevitably face behavior problems at some point in your teaching career. This is when it is crucial to know how to properly handle these issues.

One way of handling these inevitable behavior problems, is to follow “The Principle of Least Intervention” Slavin R.E. (2012). The chart on p.329 lists the steps for The Principle of Least Intervention. They are listed from least disruptive to most. Step 1 is Prevention – plan intriguing lessons, with no downtime. Set clear expectations, reward good behavior and model respect. Step 2 is Nonverbal cues – use facial expressions to express disappointment, use proximity (walking toward or standing near the off task student). Step 3 is Praise of correct behavior that is opposite of the wrong behavior being observed – For example, after “Jonny” blurts out and the nonverbal cue didn’t work, you could say “Jonny, I really liked how you raised your hand at the assembly this morning.” in hopes that he would get the drift and being raising his head in the classroom too. Step 4 – Praise for other students – this is when you point out good behaviors of others in the class that are opposite of the wrong behavior. For example, “Jonny” is talking in line. The teacher could say, “Everyone is doing such a great job being quite in line. Thank you Amanda, Mike, Amy, Cassy, Brandon…” This will gain Jonny’s attention and he will want to be praised too, therefore he will change his behavior. Step 5 is Verbal reminders – this is directly calling out the behavior. Example, “Jonny, please do not talk in line.” Step 6 is Repeated reminders – this is directly calling out the behavior again. Step 7 is Consequences – this is applying a punishment for the behavior, such as timeout, silent lunch, break detention, office etc… When it comes to Step 7 Consequences, teachers must be fair and consistent. They (teachers) must also “accept him or her (the student) back without any sarcasm or recriminations. The student now deserves a fresh start.” Slavin R.E. (2012). 

Although The Principle of Least Intervention is best to use when dealing with day to day behavior issues in the classroom; some behaviors become even more problematic. For these more continuous problematic behaviors, it is best to use The Principles of Applied Behavior Analysis. There are 6 steps to The Principles of Applied Behavior Analysis. The steps are as follows.
  1.  “Identify target behavior(s) and reinforcer(s).” Slavin R.E. (2012).
  2. “Establish a baseline for the target behavior.” Slavin R.E. (2012).
  3. “Chose a reinforcer and criteria for reinforcement”. Slavin R.E. (2012).
  4.  “If necessary, chose a punisher and criteria for punishment.” Slavin R.E. (2012).
  5. “Observe behavior during program implementation, and compare it to baseline.” Slavin R.E. (2012).
  6. “When the behavior management program is working, reduce the frequency of reinforcements.” Slavin R.E. (2012).
Some people don’t agree with this approach because they feel that the student is getting rewarded for their misbehavior. For example, little Johnny (who used to act out really bad) is now receiving an award for his good behavior, but little Susie who was always good, never got noticed for it and is receiving nothing for it. That is why it is important for teachers to have in place a behavior system that rewards for good behavior and only use these other approaches when absolutely necessary.

Analyze

Slavin states that “every child has within himself or herself the capacity for good behavior as well as for misbehavior. The school must be the ally of the good in each child at the same time that it is the enemy of misbehavior.” Slavin R.E. (2012). This is so true! I agree with it completely.

As I read this chapter, I thought back on all the experiences I’ve had dealing with misbehavior of my students. The one thing that stuck out in my mind, that has really helped me the most is; you have to take the time to get to know your students, especially the ones with behavior issues.

The reason I believe this so adamantly is because it works. I can give rewards for behavior or punishments, but I can’t really help the child until I understand the reasons behind the behavior. Are they misbehaving out of frustration with home life, or academics being too difficult. Are they acting out for attention form me (the teacher) or peers? Are they acting out in order to be removed from a hard or boring class, or to be removed form a kid they don’t like due to the fact they are being bullied by them? These are all questions that I (the teacher) must keep in mind when trying to figure out how to deal with a child who continuously misbehaves. Once a I can figure out the reasons behind the actions, I can know how to better address the behavior that is being displayed.

Another reason I believe all teachers should take the time to get to know their students, especially the students with behavior issues, is because it conveys to them that you care. When I show my kids that I want to know what’s going on, it shows that I care. I don’t just throw punishment at them when they misbehave, I try to level with them and help them change that behavior. Not only does this show my students what I care, but it helps to build a level of trust and respect with that student. My favorite line form the entire chapter is when Slavin states that “a healthy classroom environment cannot be created if students do not respect teachers or teachers do not respect students.” Slavin R.E. (2012). It’s absolutely amazing how the demeanor of a child changes once they learn to trust and respect you.

During our group discussion on this chapter, Erin made this comment in reference to my belief of the importance of building trust and respect. She said “I think you brought up an extremely important point about building a trusting relationship with your students. If they know that you care about them and that your goal is not to see them get in trouble, but instead to help them succeed, they will be more willing to behave for you.” And that is very true. My students must understand that I have their best interest at heart.

Now that I have taught for 7 years, I feel very confident in my ability to successfully manage my classroom. I believe that all teachers struggle those first few years, learning what works and what doesn’t. Just like the students, teachers are not all the same either. What works for one teacher may not work for another.

Although I have some experience under my belt, I still encounter difficult situations (mainly behavior), but I am better equipped to handle it now. In my years of being an educator, I have learned that it is crucial to establish my expectations from day one. I have also learned that I must be consistent and stick to my word, let my students know I am serious. But most importantly, I have learned the importance of getting to know my students in order to be able to figure them out. If you don’t try to figure them out, they will figure you out! Trust me, students can figure out which teachers they can misbehave with and which teachers they can’t.

To sum this chapter up, I believe that Daphene (one of my discussion group members) said it best. She said, “by taking a personal interest in students, using equitable/positive classroom behaviors, and establishing clear expectations and consequences, we can influence the dynamics of our classrooms and support student learning more efficiently.” So true, so true!


Reflect

How do you feel about this concept?
I found this chapter to be very interesting and useful! Every teacher needs to know how to handle lesson disruptions and undesirable behavior, because it will happen. Once I figured out what worked best for me, (such as my expectations on: behavior, routine procedures, transitions etc.) I was able to focus more on instruction. It really makes my job easier when I have these expectations and procedures in place. Over the years, I’ve learned that these procedures and expectations need to be clearly taught to students from day one. They also need to be referred to and reviewed often throughout the year. 

What did you learn about this concept that you did not know prior to its presentation?
I don’t know that I learned anything “new”. I was already aware of the necessity of classroom management. I have used and incorporated many of the principles taught in this chapter. I didn’t know they had a proper name such as The Principles of Applied Behavior Analysis and The Principles of Least Intervention, but I know that I have used these steps when dealing with behavior issues.

Maybe one new thing I learned was how to use peer mediation. I’ve seen it done before, but I’ve never really tried it myself. Having students work out their issues on their own would be very beneficial to me as the teacher (saving time) and them as the students (allows them practice with social skills that will be valuable well beyond elementary school).

How might you handle a situation or activity differently based on this learned information?
After reading this chapter, I would like to try peer mediation. Having students who are trained to help other students work through problems or disagreements. I like the guide the book offers for peer mediators to use. The book says “peer mediators need to be carefully trained and monitored if they are to be effective.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

How did this event change or confirm your knowledge or beliefs about teaching?
This chapter further confirmed my belief in effective classroom management. You can have the best lessons in the world, but if you don’t have clear expectations and procedures in place, the lesson could be useless.


Works Cited
Slavin, R.E. (2012) Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson
Class Discussion Week 8 

No comments:

Post a Comment