Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Journal Entry 4 posted on 6/7/16 @ 5:05pm

Journal Entry 4
Christy Dixon

Describe

The concept discussed in this chapter (chapter 7, of Slavin’s book Educational Psychology: Theory and Practice) was creating and utilizing effective lessons within the classroom.  As most teachers know “effective lessons use many teaching methods” Slavin (2012). In the example at beginning of the chapter, Ms. Logan “used direct instruction as well as discussion, cooperative learning, and other constructivist techniques” Slavin (2012). It’s crucial for teachers to know how to use each of these teaching methods and when it’s appropriate to use them. “This chapter focuses on the strategies that teachers apply to transmit information in ways that are most likely to help students understand, incorporate, and use new concepts and skills.” Slavin (2012) The method of direct instruction was explained in detail throughout Chapter 7.

Slavin tell us that direct instruction is a seven step process. Below you will find a brief summary of each step. These steps were listed on p.185 and expounded upon in greater detail throughout the chapter.  

Step 1 – “State Learning Objective/Orient Students to Learning” Slavin (2012) - Explain to the students what they will be learning and what is will be expected of them by the end of the lesson. Capture their attention by keeping it interesting and making connections to the real world. Making it personally relevant to the student allows the student to feel more invested in their learning.

Step 2 – “Review Prerequisites” Slavin (2012) - Review prior information relevant to the new material. One reason it is important to “review prerequisites is to provide advance organizers. As defined in Chapter 6, advance organizers are introductory statements by the teacher that remind students of what they already know and give them a framework for understanding the new material to be presented.” Slavin (2012)

Step 3 – “Present New Material” Slavin (2012) - Present a clearly organized lesson. Information that is presented in a clearly organized manor can be retained easier than unorganized information. Point out what is important throughout the lesson by emphasizing or repeating certain aspects of it. Explain and give examples as you teach. When possible, use demonstrations, models, illustrations and technology. This helps with students’ understanding and maintaining their attention. Keep a good pace throughout the lesson. Lessons that drag will lose the attention of the students and lesson that go too fast will overwhelm them.

Step 4 – “Conduct Learning Probes” Slavin (2012) - Do this in order to check for understanding. If your students seem to grasp the concept being taught, move on to the next portion of the lesson. However, it they do not seem to grasp the concept, slowing down and re-teaching or remediation may be required. Keep the probes brief and simple. Use questions to assess your students learning. Remember to use an appropriate wait time when waiting on your students to answers your questions. Anywhere from 3 to 6 seconds is best. Call on both volunteers and non-volunteers to ensure all students have chance to answer. Choral responses are also good to use when appropriate.

Step 5 – “Provide Independent Practice” Slavin (2012) - This type of practice is “an essential step in the process of transferring new information in working memory to long-term memory.” Slavin (2012). Seatwork is one example, however it is most often “misused and overused” Slavin (2012). To insure that you use independent practice correctly, you need to be sure your students are ready for it, keep it short, give clear instructions, get students started and then avoid interruptions. You should monitor your students, collect it when they finish and include it in their grades.

Step 6 – “Assess Performance and Provide Feedback” Slavin (2012) -  You can use a number of different assessments to assess the learning of your students. You could use questioning, seat work, quizzes, and even tests. Regardless of how you assess you students, it is essential to provide them with feedback as soon as possible.  

Step 7 – “Provide Distributed Practice and Review” Slavin (2012) -  “Practice or review spaced out over time increases retention of many kinds of knowledge.” Slavin (2012) Giving homework, is a good example of this.

Research on direct instruction has produced varied conclusions. Researchers seem to agree that these skills associated with direct instruction are skills that most educators should possess. They agree that these methods can help with basic skills, but “much is yet to be learned about how and when they should be used.” Slavin (2012)

The book also pointed out the usefulness of whole-class and small-group discussions. The roll of the teacher is vastly different when it comes to the two forms of discussion. The teacher’s roll within the whole-class discussion to “keep the discussion rolling, to get students to use specifics to defend their positions, to ensure that many students participated, and to help the students avoid dead ends or unproductive avenues”. Slavin (2012) Whereas in small-group discussions the students are assigned rolls and they are to track and regulate their group’s discussion.  

Analyze

           As an educator, it is necessary for me to think through my lessons before I teach them. This is key to having effective lessons. Megan, from my discussion group, stated “For a lesson to run smoothly and be successful, a teacher needs to prepare appropriately.” This is so true! Planning ahead is essential for optimal learning. However, Megan made another good point when she said, “Sometimes a lesson may not go as planned or take an unexpected turn, but the more prepared a teacher is, the better the chance of success.” In my 7 years of teaching I have found this to be completely accurate! Things can change on a dime and you must be prepared! Good teachers have to be flexible.

Good teachers also have to decide what type of teaching method to use, and how to present the information. This is a crucial step in the lesson planning process. When planning my lessons, not only do I have to decide how to present the information, but I must also decide how I will assess my students at the end of each lesson. This is important because I need to assess who grasped the information and who didn’t. Those who seemed to have missed the key points of the lesson, may need some extra remediation, or one-on-one time with me. I usually do this (re-teach and remediation) during small groups.

I have found that my personal teaching style is correlates best with the direct instruction teaching strategy. The book describes direct instruction as “lessons in which you transmit information directly to students, structuring class time to reach a clearly defined set of objectives as efficiently as possible.” Slavin (2012) Sure, I use other types of teaching methods (such as students centered discovery), but direct instruction seems to work best for me. I prefer using the steps presented within the direct instruction teaching strategy. There are 7 steps, they are as follows: “Step1. State learning objectives and orient students to the lesson. Step 2. Review prerequisites. Step 3. Present new material. Step 4. Conduct learing probes. Step 5. Provide independent practice. Step 6. Assess performance and provide feedback. Step 7. Provide distributed practice and review.” Slavin (2012)  

Reflect

How do you feel about this concept?
I feel that the book did an excellent job describing the direct instruction method for teachers. The book laid out each step in such detail that any teacher could read it and put it to practice it their own classroom. I feel that this method of instruction is beneficial in presenting lessons in an elementary classroom. I personally use the direct instruction method quite often in my fourth-grade classroom.

What did you learn about this concept that you did not know prior to its presentation?
I knew that this is how I usually teach in my classroom. I did not realize that it was called the direct instruction method. I was reminded of the importance of questioning and wait time. I was also reminded of how useful class discussions can be, whether they are whole-class discussions or small-group discussions.               

How might you handle a situation or activity differently based on this learned information?
After reading Chapter 7, I want to try and do more small-group discussions. I stated in the “describe” section of this paper that I have tried small-group discussions in the past, but I preferred whole-class discussions. Well, I do in fact prefer whole-class discussions, but now that I have better guidelines as to how I should group students and how to go about doing small-group discussions, I would like to try it again. Hopefully I will see an improvement on the effectiveness of utilizing this type of discussion.

How did this event change or confirm your knowledge or beliefs about teaching?
Reading this chapter confirmed my belief in the effectiveness of the direct instruction method. Like I said, I use this method quite often and it has always seemed to work for me. Yes, I do use other methods from time to time, but this is the method that I think works best in my classroom, with my students. However, I look forward to reading Chapter 8 on student-centered and constructivist approaches to instruction. I feel that I need training on how to use these other methods (like the ones going to be discussed in Chapter 8) in my instruction. 

Works Cited
Slavin, R.E. (2012) Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson

Class Discussion Week 5

No comments:

Post a Comment