Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Journal Entry 5 - posted on 6/14/16 @ 9:23pm


Journal Entry 5 
Christy Dixon
Posted on 6/14/16 @ 9:23pm

Describe

Chapter 8 of Slavin’s book, Educational Psychology: Theory and Practice, is a continuation of a discussion of teaching strategies that began in Chapter 7. In Chapter 7, Slavin discussed the direct instruction teaching strategy. Chapter 8 discusses another type of instructional strategy; It discusses the student-centered or constructivist approach to instruction.

With direct instruction, the teacher gives the students the knowledge. However, with the constructivist theories of learning, “students must construct knowledge in their own minds.” Slavin R.E. (2012). Educators can do this “by teaching in ways that make information meaningful and relevant to students, by giving students the opportunity to discover or apply ideas themselves, and by teaching students to be aware of and consciously use their own strategies for learning.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

The constructivist theory of instruction is primarily based on the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky (mainly Vygotsky). There are four main principles that are derived from Vygotsky’s ideas, that play an important role in constructivism. They are social learning, the zone of proximal development, cognitive apprenticeship, and mediated learning. Social learning is basically working with others. Zone of proximal development is a concept where the work is right above or right below a student’s ability level. (In other words, they could easily help someone with the work, or they could easily complete the work with assistance.) Cognitive apprenticeship is when the student learns from watching and working with someone who has already mastered the skill; and mediated learning is another way of saying scaffolding. All of these aspects of Vygotsky’s theories play a major role in the constructivist approach of instruction.    

The constructivist strategy utilizes top-down processing. “The term top-down means that students begin with complex problems to solve and then work out or discover the basic skills required.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

The constructivist methods are beneficial in many different subject areas. The book gives examples of some of these constructivist methods in the content areas of Reading, ELA, Science and Math.
In reading, teachers could use reciprocal teaching, which is when the teacher models the behavior she wants (such as creating questions about the story) and then backs away and allows students to start doing it on their own. Reading teachers could also try a method called questioning the author. In this method, students learn to read with the author in mind. They learn to ask themselves questions like “What is the author trying to say? What does he want us to know?” Slavin R.E. (2012).

ELA teachers can use the writing process model. This is where students help each other through the writing process. They brainstorm together, discuss, edit and publish all with minimal help from the teacher. Obviously, students must be proficient and completely understand the writing process before this method would work.

Math teachers could use a variety of different constructivist methods such as, Supporting Ten-Structured Thinking (STST), Conceptually Based Instruction (CBI), Problem Centered Mathematics Project (PCMP), and Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI). “In all four, students work together in small groups; teachers pose problems and then circulate among groups to facilitate the discussion of strategies, join students in asking questions about strategies they have proposed, and occasionally offer alternative strategies when students appear to be stuck.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

Science teachers are well known for using constructivist methods in instruction.  “In this subject, constructivism translates into an emphasis on hands-on, investigative laboratory activities, identifying misconceptions and using experimental approaches to correct these misconceptions, cooperative learning, and teaching of metacognitive skills.” Slavin R.E. (2012).

The research on constructivist methods show that it is very effective; however, it must be well balanced with direct instructional methods in order to deliver its full potential. Teachers must also teach cooperative learning methods, as well as problem solving and thinking skills to their students before driving into using constructivist methods. It is important for students to be prepared to work with their peers. They need to understand how to behave/react with other classmates. They must also know how to solve problems and think critically in order for constructivism to be effective in the classroom. It is the teachers who are responsible for teaching these important skills to their students.

Analyze

This chapter was very interesting to me. I found it to be very helpful because I have struggled with incorporating student-centered activities within my own classroom. This chapter provided me with great advice on how to better plan and prepare for the incorporation of constructivist instruction. It listed many different methods to try, in order to effectively perform these student-centered activities.

During our weekly group discussion, one of my group members (Erin) made an excellent point. She said, "Teachers might find that the majority of students are used to being spoon-fed information; because of this, they have difficulty working in a student-centered environment, and they frequently try to get the teacher’s help. To combat this, teachers should actively teach problem solving and critical thinking skills to their students. Slavin suggests creating a “culture of thinking” in the classroom by teaching thinking skills daily (2012, p. 241)." This is very true! I teach 4th grade and I have found that many of my students come to me expecting me to give them the answers. It's hard work to break them of this habit, but it can be done. 

Another one of my group members (India G.) also brought up a very valid point. She said "Sometimes teachers who have been teaching a while do not like to accept current educational ideas, because their ideas have worked years in the past. Stepping away from things you have done for years to try new things they may not work is frightening and makes you feel uncomfortable." Unfortunately, this too is true. I have seen it for myself. It is very easy for teachers to get stuck doing the same thing each year, because it is easy. However, it is worth the extra time and effort to try new approaches.

Daphene C.(another discussion group member) summed it up beautifully. She said, "Student-centered instruction may not be appropriate for all lesson plans, but it is definitely one that should be practiced and reinforced to encourage differentiated instruction.". I completely agree with her statement. You can’t just teach one way all the time. You have to mix it up. The book even said something about needing a balance between direct instruction and constructivism, to truly have an effective learning environment. This balance is what I strive for. I hope to use these methods I have learned to provide the best learning environment/instruction I can!

Reflect

How do you feel about this concept?
I like the idea of using the constructivist approach in the classroom. I agree with many of the points that Slavin made in Chapter 8. I find that I use a combination of both the direct approach and the constructivist approach when I teach. I personally use direct approach more that the constructivist approach and it works well for me. I have tried to do student-centered activities and group work, but each time, I had many difficulties. My issues that I have with the constructivist approach are due to the fact that my students are not prepared to work with peers properly. I’ve had problems with groups being off task, peers arguing, and laziness. Some of this is due to the maturity level of my students I teach. However, I have come to learn that some of the problems I have with using the constructivist approach is primarily my fault. I need to spend more time teaching my students some of these methods mentioned in Chapter 8, so that they will be able to effectively work with their peers.

What did you learn about this concept that you did not know prior to its presentation?
I have learned a variety of methods that I can use to better prepare my students for student-centered activities. I learned a variety of different cooperative learning, problem solving, and critical thinking methods that will be beneficial to my students. I plan on teaching many of those next year. I also learned that groups need to have 2 main aspects to work properly. “First, some kind of recognition or small reward must be provided to groups who do well, so that group members can see that it is in their interest to help their groupmates learn. Second there must be individual accountability. That is, the success of the group must depend on the individual of all group members, not on a single group product.” Slavin, R.E. (2012).

How might you handle a situation or activity differently based on this learned information?
With this new knowledge, I am excited to integrate it in my classroom. I also plan on including many of the cooperative learning methods as well as some of the problem solving strategies. I think teaching these strategies will allow the groups in my class to work more efficiently and productively.
In the past I incorporated student-centered activities, but I did so with much difficulty. Now with the methods that I have learned, I have a way of better preparing for them. I used to do group activities with an attitude of “Oh dear, here we go! I hope this works.” Now I look forward to trying these new methods with my students and seeing the difference it makes.  Now that I am equipped with this knowledge of how to better preform student-centered activities, I plan on doing just that! I look forward to next year and I can’t wait to see the transformation it will make in my students’ learning.

How did this event change or confirm your knowledge or beliefs about teaching?
This chapter has confirmed my belief that the teacher is the one who holds the key! I (as the teacher) am ultimately responsible for the effectiveness of the lesson/classroom. I must approach my lessons with positivity, for it’s my attitude that sets the tone for the day. I must continue to learn new/effective ways of presenting information to my students. I must gain and keep the interest of my students by planning and providing engaging lessons. I must take extra time to help my students when they are struggling. I must do all I can, so that my students can grow to their full potential.

Works Cited
Slavin, R.E. (2012) Educational Psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson

Class Discussion Week 6

No comments:

Post a Comment